Thursday, August 8, 2013

To a Man I've Never Met

I am fortunate enough to say that my parents have been married for thirty years and not only that...but they are both still alive. Which considering their medical history is a true miracle. But, they are both alive. When I got engaged my mom jumped with joy for me...When I got married my daddy walked me down the aisle and danced with me. When we got the call to adopt John one of the first people I called was my dad. He is the tree to my apple.  I am just like him. And I've had 27 years to figure that out. 

But there is a man that I never got to meet: my father-in-law. Six years ago today he went to be with The Lord. His death was unexpected and sudden. My husband never got to say goodbye to his best friend. My sister in laws never got to hug their daddy one final time. They didn't get to know their dad the way I have gotten to know mine.  They were teenagers when he died...just kids.  My heart aches so often for them. And, Im not gonna lie...sometimes it aches for me, too. I miss this man I've never met. John O'Brien, my son's namesake. 

I think that my father in law John and I would have gotten along!  Like, pretty much he would have loved me.  As his son's wife by default I'd have his love, but I know I would have looked to him for Godly counsel and good jokes. My husband would have a best friend again, a huge spiritual support system and all kinds of marriage advice. My son, John John, would have another loud and silly grandpa who would adore him. Matt and I have talked about it a number of times and we are certain that Grandpa John would be baby John's #1 fan.   They'd be best buddies & my son would grow up doing Bible studies with Grandpa just like my husband did Bible studies with his Dad.

I miss him. I feel like a part of my family will be forever missing. I imagine that a part of my husbands heart will be forever missing until the day he sees his dad again in Heaven. And I imagine that my sister in laws wish they had their daddy here to harass the boys at the door and guide them and love them like little princesses & precious daughters that they are. Until we all get to see you in Heaven, John...until then we will live life to it's fullest and greatest potential all for God's glory. I've been told that's exactly how you lived your life and the memories you left behind are the best evidence of that.

John with my sister in laws Amber & Sarah & my adorable baby husband, Matthew

Matthew posing as the most adorable boy with his daddy, John.

Doing something manly & macho like beating each other up.  Also, please note my husband's fake blonde Zack Morris hair do'

Best Friends.

1 comment: