Monday, October 15, 2012

Being Mommy: Month Two

Exactly one month ago I sat here and reflected on being a mommy for one month. I foolishly assumed that month #2 would lack the surprise and intrigue I needed to truly reflect on the past 31 days. I was wrong. Here is what I have learned about being a mommy for TWO MONTHS:

1. It gets easier. The sleepless nights don't last forever, the crying is no longer cryptic and making a schedule doesn't seem like moving a mountain anymore.

2. The laundry will never end. I thought maybe with all our rookie parent mistakes we might have been going through laundry a bit faster than usual, but NOPE! Loads of laundry (pun intended) is the new norm.

3. The phrase "They grow up so fast!" Turns out that's the truth, too!

4. I am still getting to know my son, but everyday is amazing. Watching him learn and grow is the best and watching him light up when he sees me makes my heart skip a beat. I truly learned that a part of my heart that did not exist before John surely does now.

5. I have never loved watching anything as much as I love watching daddy and baby playing and talking and laughing.

6. I have also learned the total agape love my husband has for me. He is loving and selfless as he works hard so I can stay home with our little man and works so hard to continue to be a great husband and to be a great daddy.

7. John's hair will forever grow exponentially faster than the rest of him. He's the coolest guy ever.

8. People will offer advice, especially regarding adoption advice. Most of it is nonsense but we have learned to handle it graciously; always thanking the advisor for their encouragement and concern. This is also the best segway into having the opportunity to share with them what adoption is about.

1 comment: