A few weeks ago I was out and about early Saturday morning. I was forced to stop & put gas in my car as the needle was slowly nearing the E indicating empty. It was just an annoying pit stop in a list of other errands that had to be made but thanks to my morning cup of coffee I was in a fairly good mood considering the early hour. I stepped out of the car, began to pump gas & chatted with John John strapped into his car seat in back. I noticed an old, homely looking man gathering bottles from the trash can next to the pump & smiled & said good morning. He looked up, smiled brightly right at me and said "Well good morning! It's night to see such a sunny face around here!" I laughed and told him that we could all thank strong coffee for my pleasant mood. As he chuckled, he noticed my son in the backseat and (rather politely, actually) mentioned that I seemed to young to be a mom. I laughed and said "No! I'm old! I'm almost 28!" And then it happened.
In casual conversation he said what would change my outlook on everything. I wish I could remember verbatim but it went something like this:
"Oh, dear! Don't let people tell you that the best years are behind you! The best is yet to come! You always think that 'this must be the best' and 'this must be as good as it gets' but trust me, coming from an old man, life just keeps getting better and better."
What he said was simple & could have been easily dismissed coming from a graying man with ratty clothes and an old rusting bike. But it made me think. It's true...I always thought that high school was the best. I remember appreciating my youth, my innocent outlook & lack of responsibility. High school was the best. Then I graduated & moved out. I was independent! Meeting new people. Killing it in college. My early 20s were the best. Then I became a Christian and met Matthew. We got engaged & married. Mid 20s were the best. But then we started the adoption process & now have a beautiful child of our own. Late 20s are the best. I thought all of this in a flash as I finished pumping gas and buckled myself back in & drove away. I have always worried that I am nearing the end of the best days of my life & the rest of my days will be mundane, and boring. But each new stage, each new season. It's the best. It's funny how life works. As I get older I only enjoy this life more & more.
With that said.. In a surprise twist to what was going to be a routine week on the calendar, Matthew ended up not going into work for the past few days. It has been the sweet sweet time for our little family. Quality time is next to nil in this home. But for five glorious days we have enjoyed being a family of three. Matthew has joined John John and I on our evening walk. We held hands as we walked slowly behind our son who ran through the courtyard socializing with the neighbors. We walked to the vending machines and discussed soda options. We sat in the living room and watched John explore toys and books and games. We played as a family. Tickled, wrestled, kissed and read to the baby. We sat and read the Bible and had long conversations on the power of prayer. John squealed with delight as Daddy chased him and I laughed as they galloped around the living room. I soaked in every single second and thought "this is the best" but I am still fully confident that the best is yet to come. These days, they just keep getting sweeter. The Lord blesses us with so much that it's hard not to enjoy such beautiful moments in a life that can be bombarded with the mundane.

Love this. What a perfect chance meeting. That gentleman knows what's up.
ReplyDeleteThat was absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteLoved this!
ReplyDeleteI nominated you for a blog award. Come by and check it out!