This past week has been rough! Matthew has been sick. John's allergies flared up and I am restless. Dare I say it? Bored.
Maybe part of the problem is me. When we lived in Cali, all those weeks ago, we lived in a beautiful neighborhood. The neighbors were always out and about. Children were out playing. I walked out onto the sidewalk and two minutes away were two Starbucks, three grocery stores, a book store, at least a dozen restaurants and a small grassy area where moms released their children in to act like tiny wild animals and burn off all their energy. But here. Here I walk outside and the neighbors are no where to be found. I walk out to the sidewalk and we can either go play at Walgreens or Food for Less. I pick up my phone so I can invite friends to come over and then realize I don't have any out here.
Poor Ashley. Poor little Ashley.
But then, reality sets in and I remember that this isn't all about me. We didn't move so I can be happy and constantly entertained. We left California for the opportunities we would not be afforded if we'd have stayed.
Not to mention, I highly doubt the entire time we live here Matt will have the flu, he baby will be competing for snot king and I won't have any friends. And my duty as a good wife a good mother and a daughter of the King is to die to myself. Selfish is easy. Pity parties are too. I have been given a beautiful task and that is to be married to Matthew and mommy to John. So what if we don't live next to glorious shopping centers and an abundance of friends? At least we have each other. And all this means is we have to go where the adventures are. They will no longer come to us.
So. We will rent movies. Hunt down a good playground. Learn the alphabet. Try that Chinese food place that always smells heavenly tonight for dinner. Get a library card. Find a church to call home.
And in this season where I call myself bored and restless maybe I will call it quiet and peaceful. I might even miss these days when they're gone!
(I wrote this post a few weeks ago...and most of it still rings true. But, this weekend we are going to try a new church & I cannot wait to see what the Lord does with and through us in a new church home!)
(I wrote this post a few weeks ago...and most of it still rings true. But, this weekend we are going to try a new church & I cannot wait to see what the Lord does with and through us in a new church home!)
If you're like me then usually by the time you post something you're already over it and not upset anymore BUT-- I figured I would comment anyway!
ReplyDeleteI so so so feel you. We moved back in the summer and even though we just move about 10 minutes from our old place the neighborhoods are very different and I struggled with feeling isolated and lonely. No more popping out with the stroller to hit the Starbucks or antique stores. Our new place is great and the neighborhood is growing on me but to go anywhere we have to drive and with all of Simeon's medical stuff, packing the car can be a pain. I've lived in this town for 5 years but since most o four friends were college folk, many of them have moved and it's been hard to make new friends.
Just saying you're not alone and I hope you get tied in with a great church community soon!
Praying for you Ashley!!!!
ReplyDelete